With the start of a new football season just around the corner, it is never too early to think about your next Super Bowl party. Toaster ovens are great for this and they can help you prepare some appetizers that will truly leave an impression. Below are a few of the tasty treats that will leave your guests wanting more and make your party the hit of the season.
Savory & Sweet Chicken Bites
Honey and ginger add plenty of flavor to these tasty appetizers, making them a great alternative to chicken wings or fried chicken tenders. Marinating the chicken at least a couple of hours (overnight is best) before cooking is key to their savory and exotic taste that will rival your favorite Chinese food take-out.
- 2/3 cup of honey
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ¼ pounds skinless, boneless, chicken thighs (approximately 16 thighs) cut into bite sized pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Mix first eight ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Pour marinade into a large plastic Ziploc bag. Add chicken. Let marinate at least two hours. Turn occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 425° degrees. We like to use a toaster oven (more on that below) but if you are expecting a ton of people then use your regular sized oven as these are often a huge hit and you will need to make a lot of them.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and coat with cooking spray. Remove chicken from bag (save marinade) and arrange on a sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring once.
- While chicken cooks, heat marinade in sauce pan, bringing to a boil.
- Mix your cornstarch with just enough water to make a smooth and creamy paste. Add to marinade and cook for one minute. Remove from heat and pour glaze into a large bowl.
- Toss cooked chicken pieces into the marinade bowl, coating well.
- Return to oven and cook additional five minutes.
Makes about 12 servings (1 ½ ounces each) with 179 calories and 4.4 grams of fat per serving. We prefer to use a toaster oven for many of our recipes because of the convenience and the reduction in the amount of time it takes to preheat and cook, plus they are a whole lot easier to clean up. If you get one with a convection cooking feature then it will take even less time although you will have to adjust your cook times slightly.
If you do not have one of these small kitchen appliances then you need to get one. We updated this article to include the latest toaster oven reviews from www.athomedad.com as well as other small kitchen appliances. Trust me, having a countertop oven is a blessing and it is going to be well worth it.
Simple Black Bean Salsa & Corn
This is such and easy and tasty Super Bowl recipe, you’ll want to make it year round! Make it a day or two in advance to let the flavors meld. If you want to spice things up, throw in diced jalapeno peppers for added kick.
- 15 oz can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 15 oz can whole kernel corn (rinsed and drained)
- 16 oz jar of your favorite salsa
Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Chill and serve with baked tortilla chips or fresh veggies. Voila!
If you have shied away from hummus because you aren’t a big fan of chic peas, think again! Roasted red peppers and kalimata olives give this recipe extra flavor. With less than 50 calories a serving, you can eat it guilt free!
- ¼ cup chopped roasted red peppers
- ¼ cup kalimata olives (pitted)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
Place all ingredients in a good food processor and chop until smooth. Serve with pita chips, fresh vegetables or baked chips.
Makes about 1 ½ cups. Serving size is 2 tablespoons with 49 calories and 1.3 grams of fat per serving.
Hopefully these recipes will help make your Super Bowl party one to remember while not being too much work to prepare. If you have the right kitchen equipment, like a toaster oven and food processor, then things will probably go a lot smother. Remember, just because it is a party does not mean that you have to serve food that is unhealthy